Mission to MOLA

As I creep towards decrepitude (I'm nearly 56!) I look back at at fabulous 40 year professional life as a bass player, and I have seen some amazing places and met some incredible people, including being privileged to meet and shake hands with Ella Fitzgerald.

Since 2005 I have been in a "day job" as well, as Performance Librarian at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland (formerly known as the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama) where I manage all performance material and advise on copyright and associated institutions (PRS, PPL) as well as doing lots of gigs at night.

Right now, I'm pretty excited as I've flown out to New Orleans for the MOLA (Major Orchestra Librarian's Association) Conference which is happening over the weekend of 11-14th May.

It is great to get the chance to meet people doing the same job as me, as there is normally only one in any institution, so one tends to be a bit "out on a limb"! At the conference there will be many interesting sessions, on new media licensing and Latin American orchestral music, to name but two. Also as part of the agenda, I have the chance to attend various concerts taking place in the city, and one that I dare not miss is the New Leviathan Oriental Foxtrot Orchestra - a name to be reckoned with!

I shall be doing a daily update to this blog whilst in the USA, and let you know all of the news and events as they happen. This will include any gigs I attend, especially if I get some good traditional Dixie Jazz.

The fun started when I flew into Louis Armstrong International Airport - as the great man himself said often, "and that's Jazz!"

Wednesday 23 May 2012

Day five (via platform nine and three quarters)

As one of my noble correspondents pointed out, I seemed to lose day five so here it is courtesy of the train now standing at platform 9 & 3/4s (soon leaving for Hogwarts!) - see what happens when you let me out amongst the Muggles?!? :-)

Ok, so my memory remembers(?), the night before day 5 was spent in a lovely hotel in the French Quarter, as previously reported. I had a bit of free time in the morning before heading off for the flight back, so decided to treat myself to a "proper" NOLA style breakfast, and popped into a place on Royal Street called Pere Antoines. It was pretty from the outside, and even better inside with a number of huge ceiling fans going full tilt to keep me cool. I started my gastronomic extravaganza with some lovely fresh orange juice and a "Big Easy" croissant (stuffed with scrambled egg, cheese and bacon and served with fried potatoes and the biggest bottle of tomato ketchup that I have seen in many a long day's march!) and then decided that I couldn't leave the city without sampling Beignets (at this point I didn't even know what they were!) so I ordered "a portion" and the waiter asked if I wanted Banana Fosters as well. As I struggled with such a weighty (sure was for the waistline) decision, the lady at the next table looked round at me and said, "Honey? You want Banana Foster!".

When the plate arrived, I can only describe it as like a bonfire of stick shaped deep-fried doughnuts, about the shape and size of fat Matchmaker chocolates - make sense? Will if you are old enough....
Well, this culinary conflagration was doused in a snowfall of icing sugar, and poured over that was a toffee sauce with chunks of fresh banana balanced in various strategic places. (See? I said it was healthy!!) Even though I was entered into that days "eating for Britain" competition, I had to give up half way through. Fab, but I shall never have them again..............

This doesn't mean that I won't return to NOLA, but the next trip will be holiday with much more time to sightsee. Thanks to all my new friends and colleagues for making me feel so very welcome, and I am thrilled to have a number of trans-atlantic penpals now.

Thus end the MOLA/NOLA shenanigans, but who knows - I may be let out occasionally in the years to come........... if you enjoyed my news, it may be worth a look now and again!

Au revoir!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so pleased that day five appeared through the time continuum, I was getting withdrawal symptoms ;-) When we next meet up, I shall expect a portion of beignets and banana fosters to be served, pronto!!! Don't pretend you don't know how to cook them, the recipes are on the net - I know - I looked!! Glad you had a great time. Sayonara. Sx

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to get your feedback to my blog.